About Me

My photo
I love finding new worlds through writing and reading. I am excited by creating new flavours and tastes in the kitchen. I am fascinated by nutrition and healthy lifestyle choices. I adore my my dog, family and friends.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Glimpse into berry and poppy seed cake

This is such a delicious cake. My mum and I have tweaked and altered til we got to this combination, which is wheat, dairy and egg free, and fructose friendly. It is sweet but tangy, and the poppy seeds provide such a great pop to the texture! For a cake, this is amazingly guilt free and nutritious!

Berry and poppyseed cake



125ml vegetable oil or coconut oil
3 lemons
125ml rice syrup
9tbsp water
400g almond meal
3tbsp poppy seeds
1/2tsp sea salt
1tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
3tbsp chia seeds
300g blueberries or raspberries

Powdered dextrose
Vanilla extract
Water


**Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.**

1. Combine the chia seeds and water in a bowl, and let sit for 15 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix the almond meal, poppy seeds, salt, baking power and baking soda.
3. On a very low heat, warm the oil and rice syrup in a sauce pan until combined.
4. Add the zest from two lemons into the oil and syrup mixture.
5. Squeeze the juice of one and a half lemons into the mixture.
6. Add the mixture to the dry ingredients.
7. Fold in the soaked chia seeds. Add in half the berries and combine.
8. Grease a cake tin and pour in the batter.
9. Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until golden and an inserted skewer comes out dry.
10. Let the cake cool before removing from tin.
11. In a small bowl, combine the dextrose with water, lemon juice and a splash of vanilla extract until a runny but slightly thick consistency, to the taste that you like.
12. While the cake is still warm, make holes with a skewer through the cake, and pour the glaze over the top.
13. Decorate with the fresh berries.


This was even my birthday cake a few weeks ago, because it is so yummy; courtesy of my mum!
 It just goes to prove, you can have multiple food intolerances and eat your cake too!





No comments:

Post a Comment